Thursday, March 1, 2012

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR PINGER?"

Today's post title brought to you by my mother, who sent me this panicked message when she saw the pictures I posted on Facebook. Bless her heart, I know she was worried, but that well-timed typo made me laugh through the pain I was in. Here is what she saw:

Pretty, huh?

It's hard to describe what happened, but in a nutshell, a two inch-wide, 20-lb board fell on my fingers on Monday night at work. You can see that my ring finger is a little red in the pictures, but my middle finger caught the brunt of it. And it... hurt. The worst part was that I couldn't go home... being a store manager isn't all it's cracked up to be sometimes! There was no one else to close the store. I spent the rest of the night trying not to pass out or puke from the pain... I obviously have a very low pain threshold.

The next morning I went into urgent care, where the doctor fitted me with a finger guard and sent me off for an X-ray. He also gave me a prescription for pain meds and antibiotics so the hematoma doesn't get infected. A couple hours later he called to inform me that the very tip of my finger was broken, which for me was kind of good news because that meant I didn't have to go to an orthopedist! There's really not much that can be done for a broken fingertip... so I was instructed to use the finger guard as much as possible and NOT to use ice or heat. I also have to keep it elevated as much as possible, which means I walk around with an awkward hand just... in the air. I've been accidentally flicking people off a lot.

The pain medication the doctor prescribed for me is Lortab. And WHEEEEEEEEE is Lortab a good time. I took a full dose on Tuesday when I got to work and after about 30 minutes, I was having to focus SUPER DUPER HARD on everything-- I felt legit DRUNK. At work! Fun but scary... I've since halved my dosage while at work; the pain relief isn't as effective but I need to function! 

Uh, have you ever had a broken finger? A broken finger on your dominant hand? IT SUCKS. Like... I can't DO anything. Typing and writing take forever. Brushing my teeth is almost impossible, and don't get me started on showering and getting dressed. I haven't really attempted cooking yet (mainly because all my dishes are dirty), but that's probably no picnic, either. I feel like an invalid at work because I can't fold anything lol. Then again, that's not really a bad thing!

Lesson of the day, kids: BE CAREFUL. I'll end this with another pretty. Here's what it looks like today:


No comments:

Post a Comment